J-1 Visa Attorneys

Montgomery County Immigration Lawyers

Individuals who wish to participate in work-and-study-based exchange programs in the United States may do so by applying for a J-1 visa with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Like other types of non-immigrant employment visas, applying for a J-1 visa can be a complex process with various legal deadlines and eligibility requirements. At USILaw, our Montgomery County immigration lawyers understand the American immigration system inside and out and can offer the comprehensive legal guidance you need to apply for a J-1 visa with minimal stress.

Complete an online form today to schedule an initial case evaluation.

Who Is Eligible for a J-1 Visa?

The eligibility requirements for a J-1 visa will vary depending on the specific program. These programs are sponsored by educational or non-profit institutions and must be accredited by the United States State Department’s Exchange Visitor Program. J-1 exchange visitors may come to the U.S. to study, receive training, teach, or demonstrate special skills, with educational or training programs being reserved only for those who cannot receive the equivalent training in their home country.

Categories of J-1 visas include:

  • Nanny/Au Pair
  • Camp Counselor
  • College and University Student Program
  • Secondary School Student Program
  • Government Visitor Program
  • International Visitor Program
  • Physician Program
  • Professor and Research Scholar Program
  • Short-Term Scholar Program
  • Specialist Program
  • Summer Work Travel Program
  • Teacher Program
  • Trainee Program

How Long May a J-1 Holder Stay?

J-1 visa holders may remain in the United States until their exchange program ends, after which they are given a 30 day grace period to prepare to depart the country. The exact minimum and maximum length of time a person may stay are determined by the specific category of their visa.

Some J-1 nonimmigrants enter the country to work, such as researchers or nannies, while others do not. Employment is only authorized under the terms of a J-1 holder’s specific exchange program, with work for non-sponsor employers only being available in select circumstance. Likewise, J-1 holders may have their spouses and children join them in the U.S. with J-2 classification if allowed by the specific program.

How Do I Apply for a J-1 Visa?

The first step in receiving a J-1 visa is to submit a Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status with the USCIS. This form will be supplied to you by a Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) at your sponsoring agency, at which point they will inform you of which documents are required for your specific program. Since wait times for interview appointments for applicants can vary, it is recommended you submit your application to the U.S embassy or consulate as early as possible to avoid delays.

Discuss Your Immigration Needs with USILaw

At USILaw, our Montgomery County immigration lawyers are passionate about helping individuals of all walks of life pursue their educational and career aspirations in the United States. With cost effective solutions and responsive communication, our team of highly-trained attorneys can simplify the process of applying for a J-1 visa and maximize your chances of achieving a successful outcome. From helping you choose the right J-1 program, to finding sponsors and preparing for interviews, we have what it takes to ensure your best interests are guarded.

Contact our office online or call (800) 335-8520 today to review your situation in detail.