A Green Card to Fulfill Dreams and Realize Ambitions

Permanent Residency of the United States is a dream for many. At USILaw, our immigration lawyers work with our clients to ensure that they understand the process, its complexity, the realistic timelines and the milestones that light the way forward. While this may sometimes feel like an overwhelming process, and clients often times wait up to 8-10 years to get this privilege, it is important to trust the process. That makes choosing an attorney one of the principally important tasks. At Usilaw, our promise is simple – we will be our client's strongest advocate and a trusted partner.

At USILaw, we understand and appreciate the import of Permanent Residency and its centrality to the realization of dreams

A Permanent Residency brings the following benefits:

  • Authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis
  • Eligibility at a future date to apply for U.S. Citizenship
  • 10-year Green Card – can be renewed in 10 year increments indefinitely
  • No restrictions on work, change of jobs, travel or relocation (within the United States)

There are five categories of Employment Based Permanent Residency Applications. The categories and the required qualifications are given below.




First preference immigrant visa for those with extraordinary ability, or those who are a multinational executive or manager or an outstanding professor or researcher


Second preference immigrant visa to members of professions holding an advanced degree or its equivalent, or a foreign national who has exceptional ability


Third preference immigrant visa for Skilled Workers, Professionals and Unskilled Workers


Fourth preference immigrant visas for “Special Immigrants” – Afgani/ Iraqi Translators, Doctors, Religious Workers etc.


Investor visas for Foreign Nationals who create jobs in the U.S. through an Investment in a new Commercial Enterprise

Principally, professionals fall within the first three categories of eligibility. Within these broad categories there are further tiers:

  • EB-1 Immigrant Visas: No Labor Certification Required

Extraordinary Ability

Individuals who have demonstrated extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics and earned demonstrable national or international acclaim. No offer of employment is required

Outstanding Professors and Researchers

Individuals must demonstrate international recognition for outstanding achievements in an academic field. Must possess at least 3 years’ experience in teaching or research in academic area. Must be entering the U.S. in order to pursue tenure or tenure track teaching or research position at a university or other institution of higher education

Multinational Manager or Executive

Must be employed outside the United States for one of the preceding 3 years by petitioner and must be seeking to enter the United States to continue service for the company. Employment outside the United States in managerial or executive capacity

  • EB-2 Immigrant Visas: Labor Certification is Required except in National Interest Waiver Cases

Advanced Degree

The job must require an advanced degree and candidate must possess such a degree or its equivalent (a baccalaureate degree plus 5 years progressive work experience in the field)

Exceptional Ability

Individuals must be able to show exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business. Exceptional ability “means a degree of expertise significantly above that is ordinarily encountered in the sciences, arts, or business”

National Interest Waiver

National interest waivers are usually granted to those who have exceptional ability and whose employment in the United States would greatly benefit the nation. No employer sponsorship is required.

  • EB-3 Immigrant Visas: Labor Certification is Required


Individual must be able to demonstrate that they possess a U.S. baccalaureate degree or foreign degree equivalent, and that a baccalaureate degree is the normal requirement for entry into the occupation. And the Individual must be performing work for which qualified workers are not available in the United States

Skilled Workers

Individual must be able to demonstrate at least 2 years of job experience or training. And the Individual must be performing work for which “equally qualified” workers are not available in the United States

Contact our green card attorneys at (800) 335-8520 to learn more.