L-1B Intracompany Transferee Visa Lawyer

Hire a Montgomery County Immigration Attorney

If you are an American employer looking to transfer a professional employee with specialized knowledge related to your organization’s interests from a foreign office to a domestic office, or if your foreign-based company is looking to send a specialized knowledge employee to the United States to establish an office, the L-1B family of employment visas may be a valuable option to consider. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) grants L-1B visas to eligible organizations who have a qualifying relationship with a foreign company and who are currently, or plan to be, doing business as an employer in the U.S. and at least one other country during the beneficiary’s stay.

Like any other immigration-related matter, petitioning for L-1B visa status can be a complex ordeal and can be difficult to be navigated successfully without the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney. At USILaw, our team of Montgomery County immigration lawyers are passionate about helping businesses and professionals achieve their goals through premier-quality immigration advocacy. With customized, one-on-one involvement and a dedication to helping you pursue your objectives, we can provide the steadfast guidance you need to maximize your chances of success.

Schedule your confidential case review today to discover your legal options.

L-1B Eligibility Requirements

L-1B visas are only offered to employees who:

  1. Have been working for a qualifying organization in a foreign country for at least one continuous year within three years prior to being admitted to the U.S., and
  2. Are seeking entry to the U.S. to provide services in a specialized knowledge capacity to his or her employer or a qualifying affiliated organization.

Employers looking to send an L-1B employee to the U.S. to set up an office must be able to show:

  1. They have secured sufficient physical premises for the new office, and
  2. They are financially able to pay the employee and commence business in the U.S.

The USCIS defines “specialized knowledge” as any knowledge possessed by an individual related to the petitioning organization’s products, services, research, techniques, management, equipment, or any other interests pertaining to the company’s business activities in international markets. If approved, L-1B employees may stay for a maximum initial stay of one year, with the possibility of two year extensions being granted up to a maximum of five years. L-1B employees must also be primarily controlled or supervised by their employer and may not provide work to be considered “labor for hire” for an unaffiliated employer.

L-1A vs. L-1B Visas

L-1B visas are very similar to L-1A visas in that they both allow employers to transfer foreign employees to the United States. With that being said, their purpose, requirements, validity period, and eligibility for permanent residency are vastly different. L-1A visa holders are eligible to extend their stay to a longer seven-year maximum and may petition for a Green Card under the EB-1 category, whereas L-1B visa holders must pursue labor certification before they are able to apply for permanent residency. Neither L-1A nor L-1B require authorization from the Department of Labor, since both types require specialized workers.

Let USILaw Address Your L-1B Visa Concerns

In many cases, the success of an organization’s L-1B application will be heavily based on their ability to accurately communicate their chosen employee’s expertise in their given field. At USILaw, our Montgomery County immigration lawyers understand the various laws and regulations that will impact the outcome of your case and can provide the strong counsel you need to navigate through the legal system. With years of experience and 24 hour live support Monday through Friday, you can trust us to handle your immigration case with the care and professionalism it deserves.

Call (800) 335-8520 today to find out more about our firm’s immigration and visa services.